1973 Honda CL350

Work and repair of a barn find 1973 Honda CL350.  I was originally offered this bike for free, but figured as I already had one that I would give it to my friend Jimmy Blackburn.

IMG_20170513_102039IMG_20170513_111323IMG_20170513_111248

Jimmy

5/13/17:  Pulled the bike out of a corner in Don Eck’s shop. It is the pretty blue colour of the 1973 Honda motorcycles.  We loaded it up in the back of my truck to take over to Jimmy’s garage.  We also rinsed it off before putting it in the truck. Can’t wait to hear what this think sounds like with its dual pipes.  Jimmy pushing his new project into his garage. See the size comparison, just right for him.

IMG_20170527_112603Tank Off

5/27/17:  Popped the seat up and removed the gas tank.  Gas tank removed and getting ready to remove all the rust build up inside it.  Shaking the tank around with a chain in it to break lose the rust.  Dumping out the rust in a bucket.

ShakingDumping

Petcock removed. This will need to be replaced. $23 on eBay.  Some of the rust that broke lost inside the gas tank.
IMG_20170527_114419IMG_20170527_115841IMG_20170527_172926

The guys at ABATE when I took my motorcycle course recommended using BBs instead of a chain because they could cover more surface era and come out of the petcock hole.  Shaking the tank with all the BB’s in it.  Adding some muriatic acid to the tank, as recommended online for rusty gas tanks. Very potent stuff this acid is. We used our PPE minus safety glasses.

IMG_20170527_124933IMG_20170527_125112IMG_20170527_131443

While Jimmy worked on the gas tank I started pulling off the air filters and cleaning those to before getting to the carbs.  Second air filter removed. This thing has dual carbs.  Carb #1 (left side when on bike).

IMG_20170527_133729IMG_20170527_134039IMG_20170527_134231

Choke linkage between the two carbs.  Removing the throttle cable from Carb #1.

IMG_20170527_134315IMG_20170527_134330IMG_20170527_134400

Carb #1 removed.  Carb #1 put back in after a carb clean and Carb #2 pulled out.  Both carb cleans started with muriatic acid to clean all the old gas build up. Then rinsed with water to neutralize the chemical. Then gasoline was run through the carburetor to clean everything on the inside.

IMG_20170527_134450IMG_20170527_152035IMG_20170527_152624

Popped it back in and check the linkage between the two carburetors. Carb #2 had a slow reaction time to closing the throttle.

IMG_20170527_160153

We pulled it back off and messed with the spring for quite awhile. Finally we cut the spring and made it tighter. Then put it back together.

IMG_20170527_162149

Put back together until we can get a new petcock. Clean the tank a little more (when we dumped it the fluid came out the same colour as when we put it in). It also needs a battery, as the old one was removed.

IMG_20170527_181152

6/3/17:  Got a new petcock to replace the old one.  New vs. Old petcocks.  We used pipe tape on both threaded parts of the petcock and put it is on the gas tank.
IMG_20170603_110313IMG_20170603_110329IMG_20170603_114654

Jimmy filling the gas tank.  Connecting hoses to the new petcock.  Can’t wait to fire this thing up after we get a new battery.

IMG_20170603_124035IMG_20170603_124042IMG_20170603_124051

New battery, had to add the acid and put it on a charger before we could put it in. 12A-A battery size.  Hours later, battery is now in.  Went and picked up some oil for the motorcycle. The previous owner converted it to full synthetic.  It started with a few kicks within a couple of minutes, pretty good for sitting in a barn 25 years.

IMG_20170603_103351IMG_20170603_142323IMG_20170603_152937

We did a run of sea foam and cheaper oil in the engine to the gas station, a test run through the neighborhoods, and back before changing the oil, cleaning the filter, and replacing it with full synthetic oil.

IMG_20170603_153753

I was behind Jimmy in his car, following with the motorcycle (he still needs a permit).  Filling the gas tank.

IMG_20170603_154915IMG_20170603_154927

It ran pretty bad, so we checked the spark plugs. Pretty sure they need replacing (especially the one on the left).  New spark plugs (NGK B8ES). Had to remove the tips to fit on this older motorcycle.  Gap set between .028 and .032 for both cylinders.

IMG_20170603_162848IMG_20170603_171701IMG_20170603_171935

Fuel filters replaced.  Cleaned out the oil “filter” area and replaced the screws that were stripped.  Jimmy drilled a hole into the striped screw and then pounded a square hex bit into the whole to ratchet out the striped one.  Adding the oil (the synthetic oil) after cleaning out the “oil filter” with brake cleaner.

IMG_20170603_174320IMG_20170603_174957IMG_20170603_180257

Makeshift oil funnel.  Jimmy found out that the choke is off when “open”. Runs so much better now and really has some power behind it. I also adjusted the idle because it was revving too high and rich. Super sweet bike.  This thing flies, so much fun. I got it up to 60 mph no problem after we changed the spark plugs.

IMG_20170603_180316IMG_20170603_193939

Advertisements